Using the correct slate tiles for my Hearth?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to be putting in a multi-fuel stove in my fireplace opening, my floor is made of concrete slab and I am wondering what type of material I should be using as a hearth. I am thinking maybe slate, but this is seeming to be quite expensive so is there a cheaper option, e.g. using slate floor tiles (10/15mm thick) instead of a large piece of 25mm thick slate?
Thanks for any help you can give me...

Sponsored Links
I don't see aproblem with it, glue tiles down with a grey cement based flexible adhesive and a dark grout, also flexible.

The only reason I'm wondering is because of cracking from the heat but I agree it will probably be fine. Thanks for the tip of using flexible adhesive and grout.

Hearths for solid fuel stoves should be sectional to prevent them cracking due to heat so tiling is probably the better option. Don't know what sort of surround your having but be aware that conventioanl Gypsum plaster won't withstand the heat & shouldn't be use within at least 300mm of the fire. I also assume your aware that installing a stove is notifyable building work unless you use a HETAS installer :!:

Just for your interest, I recently installed a Stovax Riva cassette & considered slate but went for a sectional Granite hearth in the end. I formed a surround using 600 x 300 Granite tiles but Topps was the only place I could find them that size locally. They were £19.99 each but after I bent the managers ear a little, he did some finger jabbing on a calculator & let me have them for £13.99 each; still a bit expensive bit I only needed 4. Glad I went for Granite now, it looks superb & better then slate IMO. ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your advice, I was actually thinking of rendering onto the block inside of my fireplace and painting it with some heat resistant paint but quite like the idea of tiling it. I was also wondering about the thickness of the hearth, is it exceptable to finish it flush with the carpet or does it have to be raised?

The superimposed or decorative hearth (the bit on the top) as opposed the constructional hearth (the bit underneath) must be free of combustible material, at least 12mm thick (in addition to the constructional hearth) & clearly marked with a change in level. Part J of the Building Regs. gives specific details which depend on your stove but I can’t find anything that actually specifies a minimum height above the surrounding floor or anything that says it can’t be flush; only the thickness of the hearths is referred to which, again, depends on the operating temperature of the stove!

I would recommend using large format slate floor tiles, this would allow the eat, and maybe thicker tiles - 20-25mmmm thick slate tiles are available and would look great.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back