Using water-based paint over oil-based on woodwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have a variety of interior woodwork surfaces in my Victorian terrace. Old chipped lead paint, yellowed gloss, some that attracts mould, knots showing through, and some Dulux trade satinwood on newer woodwork (which still looks good).

I want a white, water based, low odour, low sheen, eggshell type finish and don’t want to sand down (lead paint plus laziness. Previous owner also painted over chips so not perfect smooth surface).

My plan was to use Zinsser Bulls Eye Plus primer, then Dulux Trade Diamond Satinwood or Zinsser Perma White Satin. Just wanted to check with you experts that these combinations will work without sanding?

Or are there better solutions?
Thanks in advance :)

Attachments

• ECA774D5-B249-4DAC-B8CD-7D0A406209C5.jpeg
    ECA774D5-B249-4DAC-B8CD-7D0A406209C5.jpeg
    109.5 KB · Views: 233
  • 300AD0FB-40B3-4EC4-AEA0-3CD6CE522144.jpeg
    300AD0FB-40B3-4EC4-AEA0-3CD6CE522144.jpeg
    255.3 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
There is no substitute for sanding, I suspect all these products will even have a manufacturers recommendation that all previously painted surfaces should be abraded before applying their product.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back