Utility and bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am looking some advice on a refurbishment of a utility/downstairs toilet. I have recently bought an old house that has a utility room with a downstairs wc and wash hand basin on one side and worktop with washing machine and dryer on the other side ( it’s a small room 2 x 2.3 meters) I am planning to gut the entire room back to brick and start again. My question is; if I fit a small kitchen sink between the washer and dryer do I need to have a small wash hand basin for use with the toilet? Are there any regulations for this? I want to get a small sink from Ikea that can be used for cleaning garden tools and pots etc. I wondered if I could just get away with the stainless steel sink serving both purposes. Thanks, Jimi.

Sponsored Links
As far as i know there are no rules stating that you need a dedicated basin in the toilet so just the one sink will do. Many homes still have the single wc / seperate bathroom combo so not going to be a problem.

Thanks for your reply, I thought the same. I just want to check so might give building control a ring to ask them. I am thinking about renting out the house next year and movig to France and don’t want the council bringing up some ancient law to make me provide a ceramic basin as well. One sink will make the plumbing easier too.

Sponsored Links
WCs don't need a sink if there is a lobby area with a sink (this is the origin of the two doors to a kitchen area semi-myth).

See diagram 2 & 3 of Part G of the building regulations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back