Vaillant Combi - pilot light goes out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. First post here. Any assistance gratefully received!

I have a Vaillant Combi boiler, around 7 years old (I cannot determine the model number.)

The pilot light goes out every time that the boiler is not being called upon. This has been happening for around 2 weeks now.

eg
we have the central heating on timer, when we are out or in bed (ie heating off and no hot water being used) the pilot light always goes out (every time.)

we turned the heating onto constant (low) and the pilot light stays lit.

we returned to timed heating, and the pilot light goes out again.

we are sure that it is not a draught, because it extinguishes every single time the heating is out, regardless of the weather.

the boiler is shown below (please excuse the stuff around it, it is in a cupboard!)

I am guessing it could be a thermocouple, but surely this would fail even when the heating was on? I have determined this morning that we have some air in the towel rail in our bathroom - could this be causing the problem?

Thanks for any assistance

Leon

ftdhm8.jpg

Sponsored Links
I am guessing
Not a very useful way of tackling problems, particularly with combi boilers. Let's try some facts -

The boiler is a Vaillant VUW 242 or 282, early version of the Turbomax.

This boiler has no pilot light nor thermocouple.

If we are to help you, you need to report some facts and stop guessing. Look at the manual to see what the various diagnostic lights on the control panel mean.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back