Vaillant Ecotec 418 - Starts with quite a boom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All

I have a 12 month old Vaillant ecotec 418 - when it starts up especially for the first time in the morning or evening it starts with quite a large boom from inside the boiler, also on the flue I have a plume management kit which on the end has a bird guard, on the first start the bird grille rattles like hell along with the boom.

When the boiler has reached its set point and turns off, the next switch on for the top up heat the boiler does not start with the same level of fierce ness.

Again the initial start from cold is so loud it can wake you up as our master bedroom is above the utility room where the boiler is housed.

Any ideas gents - do I need to call out the service chaps?

Sponsored Links
There should be a setting in the boiler that the Vaillant man can access, which shows the average time for the ignition phase.
And yes, what you're describing is damaging to the boiler and potentially dangerous.
Call the experts in and get it fixed.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like it might be a burner problem. They changed the design a few years ago and can cause dodgy ignition on some boilers. Hopefully if they fit a replacement it will be of the older more reliable design.
Also if it is just over 12 months old be careful when they ask if it's been serviced as vaillant are getting strict with their warranties. If the service is slightly overdue the want to use it as an excuse to get out of their extended warranty obligations.

Thansk all

I have just filled out the online form for service on the vaillant website.

Think there is a service engineer on the same road as mine, as I see the van every morning with vaillant group service on it.

Sounds like it might be a burner problem. They changed the design a few years ago and can cause dodgy ignition on some boilers. Hopefully if they fit a replacement it will be of the older more reliable design.
Also if it is just over 12 months old be careful when they ask if it's been serviced as vaillant are getting strict with their warranties. If the service is slightly overdue the want to use it as an excuse to get out of their extended warranty obligations.

Thanks

First service is not due till 17th of dec as it was installed on 17th dec 13.
Maybe I will ask them to service it while they are at my house.

Some might say that all it probably needs is a routine service and the settings adjusted correctly.

It always surprises me just how many don't bother with getting the services done.

Guy last week had a 2008 Ecotec with nothing filled in on the Benchmark or any services, although he told me that it had been serviced three years ago.

Seems odd that anyone would service it and not fill in the Service Record.

Tony

To close the thread off chaps -

The Vaillant Group Service engineer attended today and replaced the burner and graphite seal.
As someone suggested, my burner was a part of the batch with the new design which was not as good as the previous design.

Now the boiler is very very quite, its so quite makes me wonder why I put up with it for so long!!

What a shame that people no longer need to be poached by vaillant they actively seek a service from them as opposed to their installer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back