Vaillant Thermocompact VU 182/1E CH sticking on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our old Thermocompact VU 182/1E has performed faultlessly for years but recently there's been an intermittent problem with it not shutting down when the room thermostat cut-off temperature is reached. The room stat appears to be working ok, it's wireless and clicks off when the set room temp is reached but on occasion the boiler continues running.
My thoughts are that it's possibly a control board issue - sticky relay?

Advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
The room stat just tells the motorised valve to open on a heat demand. Once the valve opens it operates a switch inside to command the boiler to fire up. A valve stuck open will keep the boiler on regardless of the thermostat setting.

Sponsored Links
The room stat just tells the motorised valve to open on a heat demand. Once the valve opens it operates a switch inside to command the boiler to fire up. A valve stuck open will keep the boiler on regardless of the thermostat setting.
Thanks, I'll investigate the motorised valve next time the heating sticks on. Appreciate your help!

I've investigated the CH motorised valve (Honeywell 272848).
With the motorised head off I can turn the valve spindle quite easily by hand. So this would indicate the head being intermittently faulty?

Last edited:
The motorised valve actuator (head as you call it) contains a small micro switch, if the radiators are getting warm when switched off then the synchron motor is seizing, if they arent but the boiler keeps firing the micro switch is sticking, replacing the actuator will sort both

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
The motorised valve actuator (head as you call it) contains a small micro switch, if the radiators are getting warm when switched off then the synchron motor is seizing, if they arent but the boiler keeps firing the micro switch is sticking, replacing the actuator will sort both
It's an intermittent problem, everything can be fine for days, then we get the continuous running problem. The radiators definitely get hot.

then the synchron motor is on its way out it will jam up soon you can just replace the motor but can be fiddly on some makes if replacing the actuator buy one of these makes the job a lot easier, but as your stat is wireless when the heating is on whn not meant to be check that the receiver is not still calling for heat

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
  • Thanks
Reactions: CBW
then the synchron motor is on its way out it will jam up soon you can just replace the motor but can be fiddly on some makes if replacing the actuator buy one of these makes the job a lot easier, but as your stat is wireless when the heating is on whn not meant to be check that the receiver is not still calling for heat
Yes I did check that already.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back