Vaillant VCW 242EH intermittent flame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Vaillant VCW 242 EH. On both the hot water and the Central heating when turned on, initially everything fires up fine. after about 10 seconds the flames start to pulse on and off quickly. It eventually cuts out after doing this for a while. It seems to be sparking fine and the pump seems to be working.

There is pressure in the system.

I called an engineer out but he didn't have a clue and told me you can't get parts for it anymore, which I know isn't true. Can anyone help, or recommend someone who knows what they're doing with this model in my area (tyneside).

cheers

Ben

Sponsored Links
I am very sorry to hear that you have been the victim of a "haven't got a clue" merchant!

Any competent boiler engineer should be able to solve the problem but there are several possible reasons, flame detection, air flow switch, venturi, pcb. It just needs someone who understands boilers.

As far as I am aware all the parts are still available for this boiler which was sold in large numbers many of which are still in service today.

Try to ensure you get someone who agrees to come on a no fix no fee basis, that will sort the men from the boys! Alternatively, Vaillant can probably send one of their own engineers who will have all the parts on the van.

Tony Glazier

vaillant have had problem with some air pressure switches giving same symptoms as you describe. look at the aps situated top of boiler at the back if it is a black one will possibly need changing.

Sponsored Links
Doesn't it sound like combustion products recycling through burners, presumably via a disconnected flue pipe or obstructed flue terminal?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back