Valliant EcoTEC plus code S.53

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am new to this site.
I am not a plumbing expert. Far from it.
I own a Valliant EcoTEC plus boiler approx 2 years old. Just outside the warranty of two years. Three bedroom house. 11 radiators. Water cylinder in bathroom and two water stores in the loft. Small one (cold water I think) has water (albeit a bit mouldy) in it. Approx five inches of water.
Our heating system is good and generally works fine.
However, every now and again when I switch the heating on, it fires up for a couple of mins. The rads start to get warm. The boiler then stops. The flame and pump signs are still present but the code on the boiler is S.53. This says 'appliance is within the waiting period of the operation block function due to water shortage (VL-RL spread too big).'
I leave the heating on. After approx 20 to 30 mins, the boiler kicks back in and the house warms as normal.
It doesn't happen everytime. I have recently re-balanced the rads as there seem to be a few greedy rads. The house gets nice and warm.
Is the above problem something I should be worried about? Is there a quick solution? Or should I ignore and keep on as normal? The temp on the boiler for heating is set at 71. The boiler was just serviced but the plumber did not really seem to concerned about this?
Manty thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back