Van not well

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
MK7 Transit RWD 2.4 engine

Drove my van last night and for some reason it wouldn't go over 30 as it was like someone was pressing the brake pedal. It had the oil and filters changed 2 months ago. So I drove home slowly......

and this morning I called out the AA, (very nice man)

He put his diagnosis machine on the van and there were NO fault codes found, we took it for a drive and at first he thought it was a problem with no airflow so he undone the air filter- no change
We parked up and rev'd the engine and it revs up ok.
Thought it might be a blocked Cat but not sure.
He then took it for a drive and when it reaches 25-30mph it seems like someone is pressing the brake pedal.
He jacked up each wheel and they turn freely, he also tested the wheels/brakes for temperature.

He told me to take it to my local garage so that they can put it on a rolling road.

He doesn't know what is wrong with it.

Has anyone else had the same problem or know what could be wrong with it?
Something seems to be 'grinding' holding the van back.
Andy

Sponsored Links
If the engine revs ok with no load on it and none of the wheels/brakes are binding, your problem could be the gearbox or rear axle, have you checked them for oil?

;)

The van is normally parked on the drive, there are no oil leaks on the drive. Wouldn't I have seen an oil patch somewhere?

Andy

Can you actually hear mechanical noise, Andy? If so, try to isolate from the rear differential or the gearbox.
I think I'd try draining the oil from each, and looking for metallic particles in the lube.
Can't think what this will be really - if you were losing oil you'd see it somewhere.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Hi John, the noise sounds like the wheels are locking, thats what the AA man said. As its half 6 now and raining, I will bring the van to the main dealers tomorrow morning and see what needs doing. Hopefully it will be a cheap repair. The van has only done 22500 miles.

Andy

If its a brake locking issue, normally there would be a huge increase in temperature, and unless the van has had brake work recently I would very much doubt a problem at 22k.
Do post back with the result please, and fingers crossed for this one....

I have just checked the rear axle oil, it is up to the correct level and look/feels like new.

Will post back tomorrow with more info

There has been no work on the van brakes, or on anything else.

Andy

Got my van back today, seems much faster?

The problem was it need a TURBO ACTUATOR, what ever that is. Anyway shes is driving like a dream.

All happy now.

Andy

Pleased its sorted, Andy, and thanks for the post back :cool:
The turbo actuator is a device that controls the degree of turbo boost by altering the angle of the vanes in the turbine - I believe some control the nozzles too. Never mind! I would have thought that the glow plug light would have flashed if the thing was faulty....its good to learn something new!

Sponsored Links
Back