Varilight Dimmer Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have bought a new Varilight Dimmer Switch. It has 3 terminals Load, Slave and Live, and also has an earthing point. I would like to replace my current switch which has two brown wires going into two terminals, l1 and common, and has an yellow and green wire (earth) that is free.

I have tried to connect L1 to live and the earth wire to the earthing point, but the light does not turn on.

Any suggestions will be great. Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Are you sure both wires are brown? Might 1 be brown and the other blue, but over sleeved with a brown sleeve to indicate it's a switched live.

Green yellow goes to earth, the brown on common (C) should go to the live, and the brown on L1 should go to the load terminal.

Not seen or used those fittings, but slave tends to suggest it's an L2 term point for 2 and 3 way switching (which doesn't apply in your light).

Hi Chri5,

Yeah the wires are both brown for some strange reason. I tried your settings and the light is now working. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
They're both brown because someone used proper twin brown cable for the switch drop.

Which is strange.

BTW - didn't your dimmer come with a wiring diagram? ;) Mine did...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back