Varnish for stairs/steps?

Sponsored Links
Any decent polyurethane varnish will do, but they will always be more slippery than carpet will. If you've got kids in socks I'd give it a miss if I were you.

Any decent polyurethane varnish will do, but they will always be more slippery than carpet will. If you've got kids in socks I'd give it a miss if I were you.

no kids live here, just adults (in socks) :LOL:

thanks for the recommendation

Sponsored Links
Hi

Polyurethane varnish will turn yellow / honey colour in a very short space of time and water based varnish will turn a milky colour if you put to many coats on. A precat lacquer is the best thing it is almost light fast ( no yellowing ) and is extremely hard wearing but as Joe -90 says what ever finish will be slipery under foot compared with carpet. You may consider leaving the bottom tread polished timber ( lacquer ) and have carpet fitted to the rest like an old fashioned stair runner that way you will have the safety of carpet with the beauty of wood. The best of both worlds so to say.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back