Varnishing internal doors - knotting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to varnish my internal doors, so that the wood shows through. Do I still need to apply knotting first? If so, the knotting solution I've used in the past leaves an orange stain around the knots which will look awful showing through varnish - is there such a thing as clear knotting solution?
Any advice appreciated"

Sponsored Links
The reason for using knotting solution is to prevent resin bleeding through and discolouring, especially, light coloured paint.

If you varnish wood with knots in with clear varnish they will still show, of course, but you don't need to bother about sealing them.

Great, thanks Xerxes! OK, next question then - can I get rid of the stain from the knotting solution that I inadvertently used on some knots already?! I guess I could try sanding it out?

If you don't use knotting, the solvents in the resin in the knots will dissolve the varnish, or stop it setting for months or even years.

Sponsored Links
hmmm, so one vote for "you don't need to do it" and one vote for "you must do it" - anybody care to tip the vote one way or t'other?!

Go ahead and varnish it without the knotting.

If it really doesnt dry (which i highly doubt) you will be in a position to simply wipe off the varnish and use knotting the next time.

I have never experienced varnish failing to dry for want of knotting but then i have only used yacht varnish and various types of polyurethane.

Thank you very much for your advice, everyone. Much appreciated.

OK so someone says it doesn't make any difference. Let me tell you that I had a large, expensive piece of varnished wood which had part of a knot in that exuded resin (on a boat, using yacht varnish). It dissolved the varnish and ran down the wood. Fine, it could be rectified afterwards, but if it had been done in the first place it would have been done only once.

So it's your choice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back