Vaulted ceiling with glazed gable end

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

First time post so please be kind. I am planning an extension with a gable end facing the garden, and would like bi fold doors with a glazed gable above and vaulted ceilings internally.

I'd like to avoid ties but not sure where the ridge beam would bear on the glazed gable end due to the glass? Would this require a steel frame at the gable end? Or is there another method I have missed?

Can confirm dimensions later but for now assume 6m ridge length, 4.5m between wall plates and 25degree roof pitch with concrete double roman tiles. Traditional construction to side walls.

Many thanks

Ryan

Sponsored Links
I'm no designer but your idea sounds tricky. There may be a design that incorporates say two vertical steel columns with a cranked pair of steels (pitched the same as the gable/roof) that may be able to support the steel.
Your other headache is dealing with things at the head of the bi-folds and the glazed gable above. This may mean an additional horizontal beam forming say goal posts with the side columns. Viewed from the front it would look like a pair of columns with a triangle on top.

Get it designed and it shoud be possible, but under no circumstances do it without techy drawings in advance.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back