vauxhall meriva

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi , i have a vauxhall meriva 1.6 8v design petrol, 0n a 54 plate, the car seems to be using way too much fuel , only getting about 20 miles to gallon out of it.can any one help in why this is happining or any cures , all advise would be gratefull cheers andy

Sponsored Links
Thats very poor mileage indeed, and suggests more than a choked air filter or binding brakes for example - although I hope these things have been checked!
If the exhaust tail pipe is sooty and maybe producing black smoke, the cold start device may be stuck on....its similar in operation to the choke of old.
John :)

dark night, high cliff, report it stolen. :LOL: :LOL:

Sorry that was a bit flippant..

Have you checked and cleaned the mass air flow sensor?
also main air filter, if this is choked excessive fuel compsumption will follow.

Wotan

thanks , i have just ordered a new air filter , pollen filter and oil filter , they are on the way , so will try this , the feul sensor is this also known as the lamber sensor , if so i will take it out and have a look , thanks for your comments,

Sponsored Links
I don't think you'll need to remove the lambda sensor - normally that would put the engine management light on if there was a problem.
Remove the spark plugs, and see how sooty they are.
John :)

thanks , i have just ordered a new air filter , pollen filter and oil filter , they are on the way , so will try this , the feul sensor is this also known as the lamber sensor , if so i will take it out and have a look , thanks for your comments,
The lambda sensor
measures the free oxygen in the exhaust gas stream.

Wotan

Back