vauxhall zafira 1.8 2008 face lift cambelt. THE FACTS!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am about to aquire the vauxhall and it has done 35000 miles. when should the timing belt be changed? if it is 40,000 miles should i tell arnold clark to change it free of charge? if it is 60,000 miles i am not bothered i will just change it when it is due. thanks. i used to do cam belts on the old ford pinto engines and was wondering how much difference there is on these modern 16 valve jobs with a veiw to diy. i have never done a 16 valve and find the idea quite daunting without the aid of a haynes manual of which i doubt that i can aquire. How is this for a laugh? the main dealers now recomend 10 years or a 100,000 miles! after swaping and changing over the years. BUT! it is recommended to change at around 50,000 miles!. who is right and who is wrong? it sounds to me that they don't know their arse from their elbow or they have little faith in their engines! There is some good news however. the cost including all the bits is a very resonable £280.

Sponsored Links
If you decide to DIY, you will need to acquire locking pins from a motor factors (not expensive) to lock the cam shafts and lock the crank shaft.
I would advise you to get a Haynes Manual ( No.4792 ). Not a difficult job but if you make a mistake it would be costly, that's why I advise an acquisition of a Manual.

if you have no experience of changing a cambelt on a modern engine its best left to someone who knows what they are doing, it can sometimes get complicated especially if you mess the timing up

Sponsored Links
If the engine code is Z18XER I believe that VX recommend the belt change at 80k, most people acknowledge this as 60k due to material quality. I would recommend 60K personally having Two Z18XER engined Astras one with 55k on the original belt and one at 70k having had the belt changed last year.

Back