VCL that doesn't block sound

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya, thank you for reading this :) I have no experience with vapour control layers at all so just after some guidance from Ye Knowledgeable Folks, please? I want to imprison my Alexa in a hole in the bathroom (already checked on the electrics side of this on another thread) and it was suggested I protect her using a vapour barrier. She's deaf as a post anyway (or she hates me - could be either) so I don't want to deaden the sound and make her even less responsive and I want to be able to hear her too. So, my question is: are all vcls much of a muchness or is there one that would be particularly suited to letting sound but not moisture through? I'd be very grateful for any guidance! :)

Sponsored Links
You're gonna stick an Alexa in a little cubbyhole and have a bit of vapour barrier covering up Alexa? Won't that look like crap?

That's tickled me - clearly the way I've made it sound does seem like it'll look crap. However, I've got a vent cover to go over the front of the hole, which I think looks nice :) just looking to see if installing a vapour barrier on the inside of the cover is a viable option. Any ideas of a vapour barrier that wouldn't stop sound travelling through at all, please?

As sound travels through air then any vapour barrier will stop air movement so how will sound get through unhindered? Why don't you just see how long your Alexa lasts in the environment? You can get waterproof speakers that connect to Alexa but obviously don't have the full Alexa range of commands available but then perhaps you want to add toilet roll to your shopping list whilst your crimping one out.

Sponsored Links
The imagery! ...

Good plan though! As I said - know nothing about vapour barriers so there could have been some weird and wonderful option out there but yeah, if there's not I'll just see what happens... Thank you ☺️

The imagery! ...

Good plan though! As I said - know nothing about vapour barriers so there could have been some weird and wonderful option out there but yeah, if there's not I'll just see what happens... Thank you ☺️
A piece of polythene pulled tight will do very little to reduce the sound transmission. The sound waves will move the polythene which in turn will transmit the sound to the air on the other side in the same way that sound is produced on both side of a speaker cone.

I don't think anyone seriously thought the sound would be completly stopped with a bit of plastic sheet but presumably there will be some reduction in volume/quality, if the OP can live with that then so be it. But (given the cost of an Alexa) I'd jut give it a go without. Probably be fine unless it's actually in the shower compartment, though perosnonally I hate the bloody things.

Airbourne sound is mostly blocked by the weight of the barrier.

Plastic film is very light and will not block sound much.

Put a portable radio in a plastic bag and see.

Aw, thank you!! I really appreciate your help, and time, all of you - I love how knowledgeable people are on here and willing to pass on what they know ☺️ I keep getting fabulous miniature science lessons with really kind teachers! Cheers, Folks ☺️

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back