Vehicle Crossing Denied - Community Land?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Long shot but I'll ask for some advice here...

I've recently applied for a dropped kerb and vehicle crossing. This was all about to be approved by the council when they discovered the land has been designated as community land and as such cannot be developed on.

Now I can understand this if it was a park or other greenbelt land, but this is a 10 yard strip of land from my property to a busy road in a residential area. I've never seen anyone from the community use this land, although they do the park just down the road. It's hardly appropriate for kids to play on.

The council say they can't do anything. Is there anywhere I can appeal to have this re-classified?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Do you own the land, or is this between the edge of your plot and the road ?

Long shot but I'll ask for some advice here...

I've recently applied for a dropped kerb and vehicle crossing. This was all about to be approved by the council when they discovered the land has been designated as community land and as such cannot be developed on.

Now I can understand this if it was a park or other greenbelt land, but this is a 10 yard strip of land from my property to a busy road in a residential area. I've never seen anyone from the community use this land, although they do the park just down the road. It's hardly appropriate for kids to play on.

The council say they can't do anything. Is there anywhere I can appeal to have this re-classified?

Cheers

You need to establish the boundaries of your property and any "community designated" land.

Note that a pavement is usually considered the highway - so, for instance, in many parts of London (and other urban areas) properties front the highway directly (pavement).

It sounds like there is a patch of land that you do not own that sits between your property boundary and the highway. You want to establish exactly who owns the land, or more accurately who is responsible for it. A search on Land Registry should hopefully help.

It is likely that it is run by a Community Land Trust, but it may be part of a wider estate of land or have been given to the council for custodianship. Once you establish who is responsible you can potentially look into gaining direct permissions (they would need to liaise with planners) or you could look into buying the land from them. It's difficult to buy from a CLT because they asset lock land and property and would only sell if you can demonstrate a benefit to the community. You may be able to do this, if for example allowing off street parking will result in a safer highway.

You should note that as you do not own this land I dont think you'd have any rights of access over it.

Without knowing your site location I'm not really able to give you any more directed advice but hopefully this will help give you a starting point.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back