Velux Window Advice

redtogreen said:
Hi I need a bit more advice on the velux problem please.

Managed to track the builder down and he reckons the reason for the tiles kicking up is that the roof uses 19mm battens and should have 25-38mm battens.

Is this correct or just BS.

Thanks
Racey

Hi "redtogreen"

My neighbour has a veluxe fitted in his roof. It is an eye sore. Looking from garden it lifts a good 30mm +. I believe the neighbour asked the installer why isn't the window flush with tiles.

The installer gave him all the BS he could think of. He supposed to have come back to rectify it. He has not been back since. STICK with it and have it put right.

Sponsored Links
redtogreen said:
Hi I need a bit more advice on the velux problem please.

Managed to track the builder down and he reckons the reason for the tiles kicking up is that the roof uses 19mm battens and should have 25-38mm battens.

Is this correct or just BS.

Thanks
Racey

If the roof has 19mm laths he should have used the same thickness laths to lath up around the velux.
!9mm laths were the norm on older houses but 25mm are the minimum thickness you can use nowadays.
19mm laths are still available so he has no excuse.

All I can suggest is you do as I suggested and look which ridge on the side flashing he has leant the edge of the tile on...I bet he has put them on the tall ridge THIS IS WRONG AND WILL CAUSE THE TILE TO KICK UP..The tile is supposed to butt up to it and rest on the shallower of the ridges..

If so he has not bothered to look at the instructions supplied in the velux flashing kit...I know because i've been down this route with an idiot alleged roofer...I bet he tried to beat hell out of the flashing kit to try to get the tile to sit flatter too ...idiots :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back