Velux

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently part way through planning and prepping a loft conversion.

I'm project managing and Diy ing some of the work myself.

( don't worry i have an SE on board ) and will conform to the appropriate regs to get BC sign off.

My question is about the velux Windows, they don't look particularly challenging to trim off and fit but I don't fancy getting on the roof to remove the tiles ( don't like heights ).

So I've asked a few roofers for quotes to fit three Windows and they all said they need a scaffold ? Even though velux say they can be fitted from inside ?

1: Has anyone fitted these exclusively from inside DIY ?

2: How much should I expect to pay per window for fitting ( assuming they Don't need a scaffold ).

Sponsored Links
It depends on the structure of your roof and access really. I have helped to fit a few in the past and all were done from inside.

Price again depends on your roof, Location and size of the Velux's. I would estimate 1 - 1.5 days labor per Velux for 1 guy.
Last one I did took 2 of us and three quarters of a day. But it was an easy one, Roof we could stand on with large concrete tiles etc.

If you have Rosemary's or slates it could take much longer as there are alot more tile cuts to do.
You may be better off posting in the roofing section.

Yeah I hear you and thanks for replying .... It's a Victorian house but has had a new roof 6 years ago with thick plain concrete tiles. Rafters are 400mm apart. With loads of head room / space to work from inside.

yeah should be no problem fitting from inside, that's what I do wherever possible.
First thing trim and double up rafters as necessary, cut back felt, cut through battens and remove tiles, fit window. with tiles it should be even easier you should be able to remove a fair few of your tiles before cutting through the battens.
If your roofer tells you it can't be done without scaffolding then he is lying.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Chappers ....... would you know if the EDP flashings can be fitted to marly modern tiles ? The box says 28mm max and they are 30mm ?
Velux say EDW flashing which are upto 120mm profile ?

Red herring is that the new EDP boxes say 15mm max ?

From memory EDP flashings are for plain tiles and I think 15mm is the correct dimension, again from memory I think EDZ goes up to about 50mm profile. Not sure I have ever used an EDW.
Somewhere on the velux site there is a guide where you look up the tiles you are using and it tells you the suitable flashings, there are often several options for profiled tiles

I fitted / had Fakro roof lights fitted from the inside. No scaffolding needed. Velux and Fakro tell you what flashing you have to use with certain roof tiles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back