vented system drawing in air - help needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I would REALLY appreciate help with the following. My mum has a vented system with an old Ideal Mexico floor standing boiler which seems to be drawing in air. She is 74 so will be eligible for a new boiler next year so we are trying to keep this one going until then. I replaced a faulty pump around 6 months ago (like for like - Grundfos). It worked for a few weeks then has been drawing in air since (it works for a bit and then random radiators stop working (especially the bathroom which is a narrow floor to ceiling rad) and it "gurgles". For some reason re-filling the system has always been a problem in terms of air locks (I have replaced radiators over the years). I gave up trying to find the problem and got a plumber in who has so far failed to sort the problem. It is only really starting to become an issue now as the colder weather arrives. My gut feeling is that it is somehow drawing air in from the vent pipe.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Tim

Sponsored Links
It's possible that your cold feed could be blocked. Find where the cold feed is and put a magnet on the pipe where it tee's in to your flow pipe. If the magnet sticks there is a blockage.

I was called to a job like this last night.

The problem was someone nearly closed the gate valve to the cylinder, opened it up and all ok.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for the replies. Can anybody tell me what the valve is in the bottom left of the picture - it's tee'd off the cold feed to the cylinder and then disappears under the floor.

View media item 51293 [/img]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back