Ventilating a timber framed extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon guys. I'm currently getting quotes for an extension build.

The best quote - is for a timber kit. The extension is basically a rectangle. It runs the whole length of the side of my house. The front of the extension joins on to the rear of my garage.

This only leaves two exposed walls to be able to ventilate. The rear wall which is 3m and the side wall which is 8m.

One quote I have had said I can't do timber kit as there isn't enough ventilation, the long wall 8m is right on my boundary. I.e. Removing the fence and building right up to boundary wall.
He has told me that you can't ventilate onto my neighbours property. Anyone know if that is the case?

I am unsure about the regulations. So any help appreciated

Sponsored Links
Thanks,

Are the ventilation requirements different for brick and block or timber frame? And is it agains the regs to have a vent going in to my neighbours garden?

You don't need cavity ventilation for brick and block walls.

For a timber frame, the vents are not big air vents, but either a narrow mesh strip if timber or other cladding, or a few slot vents in the brick joints if a brick outer skin.

Fit vents generally if need be, you can have them on boundaries.

Sponsored Links
Thanks woody, I am in Scotland and have found the regulation that says solemn vents don't count as unprotected areas and are allowed on the boundary. Even though it's timber frame we are going with suspended timber floor rather than on a slab.

Thanks for your help!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back