Ventilation requirements

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking at building a Sound Proof studio, (internal dimentions about 14ft square by 8ft 6in high). Being sound proof means that it will be practically air tight and therefore I need to provide ventilation (by means of vents, extractor fans etc..). Does anybody know of a formula to give me the required throughput that should be provided (cu ft /hr). Bearing in mind this will probably be used by four musicians with associated amplifiers and other heat producing electrical equipment. Obviously the standard type things that you get for bathrooms would be totally inadequate (unless I used quite a few of them.) I would like to err on the over generous side as to add more ventilation later would be very difficult and expensive.

Sponsored Links
Is this any good ?
Loads of information and also air change calulation in room/person/per hour.

Absolutely ideal. I'm surprised how little is required. Allowing for five people, allowed to smoke, I need about 4 Air changes per hour. which comes out about 50 Ltrs per sec.

I'll probably install 1 fan with at least this output wired constantly to the lighting circuit, and add another of about 5 times this capacity, to be switched by the customer.

They may need a bit of air conditioning in due course (to keep things cool) but that will push the project over budget at this stage.

Thanks for the pointer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back