Very loud banging in pipes

JCQ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, new to the forum and cant see this posted recently so here goes..
We had our central heating system powerflushed by British Gas a month ago, and a MagnaClean fitted at the same time.( the boiler is a six year old potterton suprima).
The system was great for a few days then the pump began to get noisy and gradually became unbearable. Got BG back yesterday and they replaced the pump saying the sludge etc hadnt done it any favours.
This morning after the heating had been on for about an hour we started getting really loud banging in the pipes, it seems to be the area that comes from the boiler but not sure. We went round checking all the rads for air but they were all fine, hubby went into the loft to check the tank and that was full too (We had the same noise about a year or so ago and found that the tank was empty and just pulling air into the system so once tank was filled no more probs there!).
It happened one more time when the boiler fired up again but nothing since, the heating is now off but hot water still on so boiler still fires up now and again.
Sorry this seem like an essay but trying to give as much info as I can think of, any suggestions will be greatly appreciated, it didnt make any noise last night after the pump had been fitted either!

Sponsored Links
Hi Kev, thanks for speedy reply, the pump was put on the same way as the old one - upside down! As for bleeding it - clueless housewife here, where do I bleed it from, its a Grundfos Multihead manufactured for British/Scottish Gas? Scrap that, Ive just seen the answer on Bahcos thread,havent got a screwdriver with a big enough head to turn it, doesnt help when the pump is right opposite the water cylinder and not a lot of room to get one in either :confused:

every pump i have been to fitted by bg is set to 3

turn it down as it will be sucking in air

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back