VIBRATING PIPES AFTER FLUSHING EITHER TOILET

If changing stop tap does not work, Buy a "15mm shock arrester" from plumb centre, get it fitted near to the stop tap or area that is experiencing water hammer. I guarentee you this will cure it. they cost around £20 max.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replies guys - it turned out that it was the external water pressure which had increased massively (it was already very strong) - we simply turned down the water coming in at stop cock and problem solved :D And even with turned down low I still have high water pressure

(Explains why it was worse in the night when less people in street using water so the flow was really strong)

I wondered if it had changed as they are planning a massive new Estate across the road - a plumber said it can happen when they have fixed a leak somewhere on the mains pipe.

Sponsored Links
Hi all- I’m new to the forum but have a similar problem to the one above so wanted to ask a follow up question.

We had our bathroom fitted last year and installed a wall hung toilet. A few months later and we noticed a hammering sound coming from the cistern after it filled up…

We couldn’t understand why this was suddenly happening but after contacting the manufacturer they advised us to replace the inlet valve. After doing so, the hammering disappeared but then returned only a day later. Unfortunately as it’s a built in system we can’t install a shock resistor to the pipe without pulling the bathroom to pieces.

After reading the posts above, it sounds like it could be the water pressure, although we’ve not changed this since the install. How would I reduce this via the stopcock? Do I simply turn it off a little? Sorry I’m a complete newbie so excuse the ignorance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back