Virgin media indoor cables.

Sponsored Links
If they're what VM used to install, then te answer is no. They have extra shielding. Three layers rather than two for coax now used for TV and satellite.

Look up Webro HD100 (a triple-shielded coax) and compare to Webro WF100.

In all honesty, Webro WF100* is really good. By that I mean miles and miles better than the "ideal for Virgin and satellite" (RG6) extension kits sold on eBay. If you want something proper, but don't fancy tracking down cable, the finding the correct sized plugs to buy, then the compression tools, then making up your own, drop me a line by PM and I'll sort you a kit out ready to go in either white or black outer jacket.

It'll work and it won't cost a lot.

'* Webro WF100, Triax TX100, Labgear PF100.

I had Virgin boxes in some rooms, but got rid. The cable seems to have RF connectors, so wondered if they could be used with the aerial I have so I have points for tv's in other rooms.
Yeah you can use it for ariels, done it loads of times, had a mate who worked for virgin gave me a few drums.

Edit, the outdoor black stuff I used but I assume it's the same

Sponsored Links
Yeah you can use it for ariels, done it loads of times, had a mate who worked for virgin gave me a few drums.

Edit, the outdoor black stuff I used but I assume it's the same
The question isn't whether HD100 can be used for aerials. It can because it should be a better spec than a lot of the standard RG6 rubbish sold for aerial and satellite hookup.

The question is the other way around. Can stuff sold for TV aerial use also be used for Virgin Media.

This is a different proposition to you and your mate's drum of VM cable.

If you've even seen some of the junk sold under the 'RG6' banner then you'd think twice about using it for aerials let alone VM. It's garbage. Steel core (copper anodised to look genuine, but still easily magnetised and it rusts in the presence of atmospheric moisture), barely-there aluminium(!!) braid shield with a Mylar plastic foil. Loose outer jacket. Electrically more lossy than good coax. Rarely any spec either. It's just bad.

Using aluminium for part of the shielding function is risky. If there's any moisture, like through a crack in the brittle outer jacket, then the ali will corrode and turn to mush.

The shielding does three main jobs. First, it provides a signal return a bit like the negative connection on a car battery. Without it, no signal flows.

Second, it 'catches' the energy from interference much in the same way as a TV aerial picks up radio waves. Foil covers the higher frequencies up into the satellite (GHz) range. Braid covers the lower frequencies down to baseband video.

The third function is to provide a conductor to ground for this trapped energy. Metal foil is already bad for this, but Mylar (plastic) is the pits. This is why the metal braid is needed.

If the braid starts to bemreakdown at some point the it will go high resistance. This causes signal loss, but it's really hard to pinpoint the cause since this is under the sheath and so out of sight.

None if this is an issue with a copper cable. I've been to houses where the end of the copper aerial cable at the TV has been dripping water but there was still some TV signal.

Paying good money for bad cable is very short-term thinking.

The question isn't whether HD100 can be used for aerials. It can because it should be a better spec than a lot of the standard RG6 rubbish sold for aerial and satellite hookup.

The question is the other way around. Can stuff sold for TV aerial use also be used for Virgin Media.

This is a different proposition to you and your mate's drum of VM cable.

If you've even seen some of the junk sold under the 'RG6' banner then you'd think twice about using it for aerials let alone VM. It's garbage. Steel core (copper anodised to look genuine, but still easily magnetised and it rusts in the presence of atmospheric moisture), barely-there aluminium(!!) braid shield with a Mylar plastic foil. Loose outer jacket. Electrically more lossy than good coax. Rarely any spec either. It's just bad.

Using aluminium for part of the shielding function is risky. If there's any moisture, like through a crack in the brittle outer jacket, then the ali will corrode and turn to mush.

The shielding does three main jobs. First, it provides a signal return a bit like the negative connection on a car battery. Without it, no signal flows.

Second, it 'catches' the energy from interference much in the same way as a TV aerial picks up radio waves. Foil covers the higher frequencies up into the satellite (GHz) range. Braid covers the lower frequencies down to baseband video.

The third function is to provide a conductor to ground for this trapped energy. Metal foil is already bad for this, but Mylar (plastic) is the pits. This is why the metal braid is needed.

If the braid starts to bemreakdown at some point the it will go high resistance. This causes signal loss, but it's really hard to pinpoint the cause since this is under the sheath and so out of sight.

None if this is an issue with a copper cable. I've been to houses where the end of the copper aerial cable at the TV has been dripping water but there was still some TV signal.

Paying good money for bad cable is very short-term thinking.
Is it? In post #3 he says he has the virgin cables already installed and could he use them for ariel points

Is it? In post #3 he says he has the virgin cables already installed and could he use them for ariel points
Ah, my mistake and my apologies. I missed that he'd replied between yours and mine. :ROFLMAO:

If they're what VM used to install, then te answer is no. They have extra shielding. Three layers rather than two for coax now used for TV and satellite.
Interesting. I have a reel of probably several yards of that in the loft. The bloke who installed our router all those years ago left it (intentionally).

I had forgotten about it, but you reminded me that I once thought about using it to extend the router into another room where it would be more central. The only thing I'd like to know is what sort of connections could I use to join the extension?

VM use compression connectors. For a one-off job you'll do fine with one of the kits from eBay. See eBay item no. #285531131138.

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back