virus

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could anyone tell me if I am correct in thinking that if a folder is downloaded from the internet, which contains sub folders & files, any virus in the software is activated on opening a file rather than the folder or sub folder. I suspect that I have picked up a virus from a programme that I have downloaded. After opening the main folder I then opened a readme file, but not the exe. files, so I am hoping that is where the virus came from rather than the programme itself, as I do not want to have to delete the whole download.Thanks

Sponsored Links
Did your a/v application alert you to the problem? Check the logs for the source of the infestation. It's unlikely to be the txt file, if indeed it was a txt file and not one with an additional extension. If you were alerted, the real time scanner may have detected it in one of the other files.

Personally, I wouldn't trust any of the downloaded files and would delete them and perform a full system scan.

No AVG did not detect a virus, despite scanning before opening, but after I unpacked the rar file, clicked on the folder to explore, there were a couple of sub folders & a text file which I opened & it turned out to be a load of gobbledy gook. I then closed the file & folder & when subsequently scrolling a web page with the mouse wheel the page reverted to my home page. I can scroll up/down web pages with the keyboard or left clicking on the shift bars ok, but if I try to scroll with the mouse wheel it always reverts to the previous page. As it started to do this immediately after opening the txt file I presumed I had picked up a virus, as I have been unable to resolve it using the control panel. Do you think my assumption is correct or are there other possibilities?

Possibly not a virus as such, but a trojen which has altered some settings. Can you post the URL of the archive you downloaded and i'll take a look for you?

Sponsored Links
Thanks Igorian, just this minute managed to find the old inst. disc for my deskset. I reloaded the software & it is working ok now. I think you were spot on with your suggestion. I won't waste your time now but perhaps I could come back to you if the problem recurs? Thanks.

Back