'Visqueen' Roofing Underlay? Spalled Tiles / Roof Replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all!

So, the roof on my Mum's Edwardian semi is in need of repair. Around 40 years ago, in previous ownership, the middle section of the roof was replaced. This section has black felt underlay, and the clay tiles all look to be in excellent condition, with no signs of spalling that I can see.

However, around 30 years ago, the areas of the roof each side were replaced, and it’s here where the problems exist. The old tiles & laths were removed, and what looks like plastic visqueen was laid, and topped with some of the old tiles and some reclaimed tiles. A large proportion of these tiles are now spalling, requiring the guttering to be periodically cleared.

My question is regards the ‘visqueen’ plastic underlay, is this acceptable practice for a roof on a property of this period, or should it all be ripped up and a more suitable breathable felt laid instead? There are no signs of damp or condensation in the roof space, and the rafters are solid & dry.

It is our intention to replace the tiles on these failing areas with tiles that match those on the good middle section to homogenise the appearance.

I’ve enclosed some photos.

Thanks!

Aerial view, showing the good middle area and the areas each side requiring replacement
Roof.jpg

Good middle section of the roof with black felt
GoodAreaFelt.jpeg

Areas of roof requiring replacement with plastic 'visqueen' underlay
Visqueen.jpeg

Sponsored Links
it is simply a non breathable underlay. It was meant for the purpose it has been used for. I think Geof Capes advertised it.
the other sides are bitumen based 1f none are breathable.

@datarebal Thanks for that.

So would it be acceptable to leave both types of underlay in place if they are in good order?

Not sure what state the laths are in as yet.

Thanks again

If the replacement tiles were reclaimed, then age of those tiles are most likely the problem, and nothing to do with the underlay.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back