vokera 20-80 rs flowmatic boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Boiler has just started becoming noisier and noticed that pressure is up to 3 bar - so switched it off in a panic! Usually I have to up the pressure but do not know how to lower it!

Please help before I get too cold! Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
The expansion vessel has probably failed. You could have a new one fitted externally for much less cost than replacing the one that's part of the boiler (at the back).

As for the noise, what is making the noise - the fan?

Yes it does sound like the fan but I also think I heard a banging in a downstairs rad.

Does this mean that I should not use it?!

Thanks for replying so quickly, first time on this sight.

A new fan will cost you maybe £140 + fitting (unless you find a nice engineer like me who'll repair it with a bearing off another old fan, or get a reconditioned one for £50). Probably time to think about getting it replaced. These are pretty old boilers now and although they can be kept going with TLC chances are you won't find anyone with the inclination to do so.

Sponsored Links
A new fan will cost you maybe £140 + fitting (unless you find a nice engineer like me who'll repair it with a bearing off another old fan }

If you are going to all the bother of changing bearings then why on earth dont you at least use new ones???

Tony

If you are going to all the bother of changing bearings then why on earth dont you at least use new ones???
Firstly I only changed the top bearing which is easy to do. Accessing the lower one requires removing the impeller from the shaft. Secondly I didn't know that you could get new bearings - perhaps you could let me know where, Tony? The type in question are brass with no ball race or anything and are housed in an aluminium casting/stamping, as used on early Vokeras and Vaillants?

It is unlikely the fan bearings are shot. More likely the impellars are loaded with muck and dirt making the fan knock and noisy. Remove fan, wash rat cage ensuring motor is not given a wash as well. Fit new fan gasket. Clean venturi while you are at it.

Drain boiler pressure to zero and pump up the expansion vessel. Refill system to 1.5 bar and vent HW HE.

Better still give the boiler a chance to work again. Get it serviced as there will be other components that will have started to suffer due to lack of service. Great boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back