voltage readings at light

S

salmo

could anyone tell me why i am getting readings on my multimeter of 230v between live and earth ok 230v between live and neutral ok but 230v between neutral and earth and mcb not tripped and lights not on. Cheers for any feedback.

Sponsored Links
you cant be. get someone to take some pictures of you getting these readings, try and get the meter face and the probes and connections in the one photograph.

what reading are you getting on the switched live cable??

If you get 230v between n-e you have a loose connection or a neutral cable has come out somewhere
Thought there might be a loose connection as 230v between neutral and earth did get me wondering.Cheers jaysean1.

Sponsored Links
you asked this same question the other day.. why repeat it? we still don't know..
it's just not possible at least ONE of your pairs will read 0v between them..
a broken neutral means you would get 230V N-E with the switch on as you're reading the L through the lamp, but then L-N would read 0V

a broken earth would show up as some weird voltages L-E and N-E, but would show 230 L-N

we need answers and pictures..

what are you using to test with?
where are you putting the probes?
we want photo's of the readings with the probes in all 3 cases. ( L-N, N-E, L-E )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back