VW Bora service

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a 1.9TD, 2000 reg.

I've been to the local VW dealer for engine oil and filter and was advised by the bloke on the counter that the Quantum 5w40 oil he sold me needs to be changed every 10k miles.

Now I've always thought that diesel engine oil was change every 6k miles so 10k miles seems excessive - anyone have an opinion on this?

There's also a Rover 45TD (2001 reg) in my household and that gets 10w40 every 6k miles - can this go to 10k miles as well?

Thanks for any replies.

Sponsored Links
Your car can use either the normal spec oil or the long drain stuff - either way, 10k miles using the Quantum is fine.
Personally I go for every 6k but thats just me!
I'd still stick with the 6k for the Rover though.
Renault used to specify 18k for their dci motor - this is now down to 12 but I change ours at 10k, with a genuine filter.
John :)

Thanks for that.

I told my sister, who owns the TD Bora, about the 10k miles and she said that there's a light on the dash that comes every 6k miles to remind about the oil change as advised by the handbook!

Actually, I was driving away from having bought the oil and filter and thought I should have got a diesel fuel filter as well.

The nice thing about diesel engines, in my opinion, is they're easy to service.

Just for info, the oil spec for fixed service interval vehicles is VW 505 01 (or 505 00 if its a pumpe deuse engine) and for the flexible service interval vehicles its VW 506 01 (or 00 if PD motor).
Changing the fuel filter is dead simple, and starting is immediate if you fill the thing up with diesel from a clean jug before connecting the pipes.
John :)

Sponsored Links
For PD diesel engines : VW 505.01 5w-40 or VW 506.01 0w-30 (variable service intervals). Recently VW 504.00 has replaced 505.01 and VW 507.00 replaced 507.00.

If you have a PD engine it is very important to use an oil meeting the correct VW spec - some early engines would suffer excessive camshaft wear that was made worse by having out of spec oil. The 150bhp engines were the worst for this although it happened to the 130 and even a few 110bhp engines too.

Your engine code should be on a sticker in the boot - AJM, ARL, ASZ, ATD, AUY, AXR and BEW engine codes are PD engines, AGP, AGR, AHF. ALH, AQM and ASV engine codes are non-PD

Personally I use Millers XFE-PD which is VW505.01, but replace it every 6months / 6000 miles.

i try to stick to 6k in my pd engined tranny but do go over now and again as an oil change costs me roughly £60 and im a tight arse!
i would never put a pd engined car on the longlife schedule though

Back