Walk-in shower high moisture level in exterior wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have high moisture levels of 55-78% in my exterior shower wall. This is no plumbing in this wall. The shower deck is recessed 4 inches from slab and built on concrete sub floor. I have checked the attic and there is no signs of leaks. The stucco siding has minimal to no cracks in the area. The whole side of the house has a dry reading on a thermo and probe type moisture meter, except when using a thermo meter that shows moisture in the area of the walk in shower. What can be the problem? Where ro I start trouble shooting to isolate where the moisture is coming from?

Sponsored Links
probe metres are ineffectual on masonry substrates! which are primarily designed for testing the moisture content of wood.

if the exterior wall is uninsulated and cold the moisture from the shower will condensate more readily on it giving higher readings.

in the absence of any other sources of water ingress or seepage the most likely cause would be condensation. look at mechanical extraction and increase ventilation to the room.

probe metres are ineffectual on masonry substrates! which are primarily designed for testing the moisture content of wood.

if the exterior wall is uninsulated and cold the moisture from the shower will condensate more readily on it giving higher readings.

in the absence of any other sources of water ingress or seepage the most likely cause would be condensation. look at mechanical extraction and increase ventilation to the room.

This is a pre-existing issue. The builder has opened up the wall about 1 year ago and the cocoon insulation was soaking wet in that area. The tile was properly grouted and sealed. There didn't appear to be leaks. I haven't used that shower now in two weeks and still have a wet wall. The thermo meter that shows cool and hot zones shows the wall being in warm range and cold in that one particular area.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back