Wall and floor tiling - which first

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to start refurbing bathroom. I intend to tile all the walls and the floor. Should I tile the walls first or is the right thing to tile floor first? Any suggestions would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
if tiling all the way to the floor (no skirting boards) i normally put a batten round the walls one tile up from the floor. tile the walls, tile the floor, then remove the batten and finish the wall tiling.

Thanks for the replies. To be honest I did think that doing the walls first would be the most sensible option but just wanted it confirmed by people who would know

Sponsored Links
good advice here ,
can I add preperation an planning is No1 for doing a tiling job , do a section at a time , use Bal mud/adhesive , always clean as you go an dont ever rush it ... an most important ,
never allow second best ,
if it looks awful take off an retile that bit..once its stuck you will die inside many deaths as you lay in the bath looking drawn to it ...hating yourself , ;)

Can I also ask, does it make any difference if I tile out a shower area before fitting the shower cubicle around it?

Or should I wait until I fit the cubicle and THEN tile inside it?

Don't worry, I figured it out :) Am going to get the uprights in place and tile up to them, definately looks right to get the cubicle supports directly onto the wall.

When you come to the floor, whatever you do dont use fast setting stuff. Bloody nightmare! Had to restart 2 or 3 times as that wnt off so quick..

>>whatever you do dont use fast setting stuff

Cheers bud. I had to use some of this at a friends recently, like you say, a real pain, so have bought the normal adhesive. Much more suited to my tiling ability ;)

nick99 said:
Can I also ask, does it make any difference if I tile out a shower area before fitting the shower cubicle around it?
Is the shower area waterproof such as tanking? (ie not straight onto plasterboard)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back