Wall Tie failure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been told i have wall tie failure on the rear of my house. The pointing is much worse than the front or gable side.

I am pretty handy at DIY so want to tackle this problem myself. IS there any good reading on how to go about sorting out this problem. If not can anyone answer my questions ?

1) Why do the failed ties need to be removed and how do you go about removing them ?

2) Where do you buy the new ties from ? Do the builders merchant sell them or can you get them online ?

3) Do you need to buy a special drill bit for the drill and what sort of drill do you need to screw them in with. I have a cordless 18v dewalt, but would i need a corded drill ?

Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
1) Why do the failed ties need to be removed and how do you go about removing them ?

The main damage is done by corroded ties expending in the brick joints. Rust is more than capable of lifting the whole weight of the house. It's not unusual to see the whole horizontal joint open up by 10mm or more. If you leave the tie in place it will continue causing damage.

2) Where do you buy the new ties from ? Do the builders merchant sell them or can you get them online ?

Personally I would get them from Target Fixings on line. they do everything you need including the special drill bits.

3) Do you need to buy a special drill bit for the drill and what sort of drill do you need to screw them in with. I have a cordless 18v dewalt, but would i need a corded drill ?

A decent cordless will do it as long as it has a hammer function. I'd give it a go and then decide from there.

Thanks for info. I have been reading more about it all and have seen a video on utube.

Apparently you do not need to remove the old ties, but treat them with a rust inhibitor. I think you remove the mortar where a tie is situated and expose the tie and then push in the inhibitior. I also saw one company push in loft insulation into the gap where the tie is. Not sure what this is doing though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back