wall ties

Well good luck, as I doubt building control will sign off what he has done, and I bet he will walk away if you ask him to re do it free of charge.

Sponsored Links
these pictures shows what he has done for couple of walls only for inner corners. this wall has not finished yet. he is supposed to complete it this Wednesday

Attachments

• IMG_20191104_171612.jpg
    IMG_20191104_171612.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_20191104_171620.jpg
    IMG_20191104_171620.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_20191104_171631.jpg
    IMG_20191104_171631.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 126
I'm no brickie, but I'm pretty sure that isn't acceptable for a load bearing wall. I'm sure more informed bods will be along shortly

what is the best course of action I can take now? shall I ring my local authority building controller and ask him to come around and have a look before the bricklayer complete the wall showed in the picture above?

Sponsored Links
The first picture shows nails :!:The area without wall ties would be of concern and the 180mm long screws he retro fitted are dodgey to say the least - how wide is the cavity and how far do they go into the inner leaf :?::!: Does that last photo show mortar sitting on cavity insulation :?::!:
The problem is if you ask him to redo anything (even if he was likely to ) he will just ride off into the sunset especially when you have been paying him daily. The only thing I can think of is you could possibly have somebody install some proper retrofit wall ties to the area you mentioned.

they are not nail, they are masonry window or door frame screws 7.5 x1800), there are the brick courses above the ones in picture 2 and 3. picture 2&3 shows the course below which remember to put the ties

the cavity is 100mm wide but they do not go through the cavity. those wall times and the screws go 4" into the wall on the left to tie the wall that is going to the right. basically the screws and ties supposed to tie the two walls at the corner.

lso he has forgotten to putr them in about 3 metre section wall altogether and when I reminded him he screwed 180mm masonry screws (window farms) into the mortar of the outside skin and he also said, these are better than ties.
I took this to mean no wall ties in a straight run of wall, not an internal corner .
the cavity is 100mm wide but they do not go through the cavity. those wall times and the screws go 4" into the wall on the left to tie the wall that is going to the right. basically the screws and ties supposed to tie the two walls at the corner.
Nails or Screws they are not wall ties but , if it is now built up to roof level, as other have stated it is difficult to know what to say.

I am sorry to sound negative given this is a storey jobbie and the brickwork is upto plate height, however, I personally eould be nervous about continuing further until the work is checked.

If it was me I would get a building surveyor in before going further.

I suppose the corners could be redone and toothed in, but it wouldnt be possible to bed the bricks in properly and the brick bond would be incorrect as the brickwork is now set out wrong.

I hate to say it but paying a trademan daily is a bit if a warning bell to me. As is piece rate.
I wonder if he used to work on a new build sites and he mostly did the running in.

Have you checked his work for dimensional accuracy and levels -what tools did he use to set out with?

If you could post some pictures of the overall extension showing the brickwork the pros on here might be able to provide some feedback -hopefullybthe brickwork is good in all others respects.

If by toothing-in, he is reducing the strength of the recipient wall (robbing Peter to pay Paul) then perhaps he's done the right thing. Or maybe I should read the whole thread and then form an opinion....:cool:

If by toothing-in, he is reducing the strength of the recipient wall (robbing Peter to pay Paul) then perhaps he's done the right thing. Or maybe I should read the whole thread and then form an opinion....:cool:
My understanding is that its all new walls and the brickie has done a butt joint at returns.

My understanding is that the outer skin of bwk has been done with butt joints at all internal corners. Asuming the internal leaf of blockwork has been bonded in and the bwk was tied in properly to the blockwork the butt joints might not be too bad ( a movement joint is a butt joint, although there are special ties in that situation )

I managed to take out the half brick form every other course to create space for a full brick to be inserted from the perpendicular wall. hopefully they will create the required bond see pic 1. however this is only for the last 18 courses and I believe the other 15 courses, (see pic 2) the bricklayer used wall ties instead of mashing the brick. he only does this in the inner corners of the wall not the outer corners, see pic 3. I checked the other wall at the back and I know at least he mashed the last 15 course because I was there and I told him to do so. Does this mitigate the structural problem?
all the ties and the insulation are in the right place because I have checked them myself.

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 118
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    263.7 KB · Views: 112
  • pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 111
  • pic4.jpg
    pic4.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 106
Looks like he did graduate from the Shiite School of Bricklaying, with a distinction in " Flinging mortar all over the place".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back