Wall vent removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Does anyone know how these wall vents are fixed to the wall? I think it's original from when house was build 60's. Can't see any sign of fixings. Was thinking to take a utility knife to the edge of it to see if it would lever off. Aiming to not damage the plaster work, cut and fit a piece of insulation board to the internal hole shape then put a new adjustable vent on which I assume will use plugs and screws, it's a cavity brick wall. In warmer months will maybe remove the insulation. There are no gas appliances in the room. Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• 20231021_092246.jpg
    20231021_092246.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 86
Sponsored Links
Careful, check its not asbestos.
I've taken loads out.
Suppose to be unlicensed work if its asbestos with training but I suited up. Sprayed water and foam and removed whole. I was lucky our local tip took asbestos

Last edited:
Careful, check its not asbestos.
I've taken loads out.
Suppose to be unlicensed work if its asbestos with training but I suited up. Sprayed water and foam and removed whole. I was lucky our local tip took asbestos
Would have been a good idea to tell the OP how to remove it if you have "taken loads out" rather than frightening him by mentioning asbestos, of which would be miniscule even if, in the unlikely event it is asbestos.

Sponsored Links
Looks like a plaster vent and stuck on with plaster. Difficult to remove without damage to the plaster around it.

Score the perimeter with a stanley knife, lever with a wide rigid scraper.

Thanks for the tips, plaster vent seems about right. Would probably replace with plastic version. Not worked with insulation board before, assume I could cut to the size of the rectangular opening for a tight ish fit then put on the new vent with screws? Alternative would be something like rockwool. Thanks

I just put an old wood chisel in wall just away and hit the end with a hammer. That will sunk in the plaster under vent, then levered it off.
I'd spray with water first as will be dusty inside. Try get it off as one bit.
There is information on HSE website regarding and people can decide what to do themselves.
I'd rather say than Keep quiet. Yes it's probably just plaster and not harmful but who knows.

I used to remove them.
Put insulation in hole.
Thermalite block so it's not a cold spot.
Plaster over.
Outside id cover bricks with duck tape to keep clean.
Cover new bricks with duck tape.
Cut out damaged bricks.
Sand and cement new bricks in.
Pull tape when it's set.
Very easy job.

Pictures of a gas air vent hole.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-09-16-15-09-08-556_com.microsoft.skydrive.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-09-16-15-09-08-556_com.microsoft.skydrive.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20210916_151005.jpg
    IMG_20210916_151005.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 32
Thank you wayners for going through the whole process. I'm probably not going to touch outside for now as it's upstairs and don't fancy the ladder work. Thermalite block sounds like good idea and heard that mentioned before but that might be for when it's permanently blocked up which may happen if we replaster the room. Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back