Wallpaper Edges Keep Coming up When Hanging Them?

DMA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have been wallpapering a room with a heavy vinyl paper and the edges keep sticking up right after I have hung a strip. I pasted them right to the edges and when I folded the strips to soak before hanging I tried to keep the edges of the paper overlapped (not sure if I managed to achieve that part 100%) and pretty much every piece I have put up the edges have lifted and I have been spending ages caulking them to keep them down.

-On the wallpaper information label it says not to use a seem roller so I have not been using it and also the label info says something like "soak for some time" instead of an actual soak time so I am not sure how long I should be soaking them for, but they probably getting around 5-10 mins by the time I have rollered the paste onto the strips and rolled some more paste onto the wall before hanging them.

-I sized the walls with some paste a day or two before as well

This is what the wallpaper looks like http://www.batleydiy.co.uk/fine-decor-milano-two-tone-gold-damask-wallpaper-m95559-7257-p.asp (I think it is the same one, it looks the same and has the same name anyways...)

Also I followed the instructions on the paste packet for the heaviest paper, and also followed the water/paste ratio for sizing the walls. Does anyone know what may be causing the edges to raise?

Could it be that I am taking too long to hang them? (its taking me about 30/40 mins a piece, the walls are like 3m or something and its the first full room I'v ever done so finding it difficult)

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
It's taking 30/40 minutes a piece? That's a definite problem!! Also you need to seal the walls better , Halls beeline do a good sealer.

You need to move a bit faster, paste and put in a bin bag wrapped up for 5 minutes that will help the paste not to dry out

• Thanks
Reactions: DMA
thanks, and yeah I know 30/40 mins is way too long, before I started it I though it would only take a day or so to do the whole room but at the rate I'm going its about 20 hours.... the bin liner thing sounds good and thanks for the tip about the beeline sealer.

Appreciate your help.

I haven't hung wallpaper professionally for over 25yrs , but funnily enuff I have slapped 8 rolls on today & it was just like riding a bike.

The quality of the paper matters, but if you soak it for at least as long as the manufacturer recommends . . . then if the seams lift . . . learn how to just leave it alone until the paste dries.

I remember that this was a difficult thing to learn all those yrs ago & the heavy anaglypta I slapped up today is still showing a few bubbles, but if the seam doesn't go back & all is not well in the morning, then it's definitely crap paper.

• Thanks
Sponsored Links
You need to allow to soak in adhesive for aroun 5mins and hang in the next 5mins or you will need to take down and reapply as it's getting too dry.For stubborn paper I use neat pva on the under edges after hanging.

• Thanks
Back