Wallpaper on render

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,
I have a chimney breast wall that I have to patch the lower half of with render to meet the old plaster just above the fireplace level.
Now I dont do plastering but can get the render pretty darn flat. I then want to lining paper it with some thick gauge paper. Will the paper stick to the render? Does it need special preparation or is it a no no.

Sponsored Links
Its a big NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.....from me anyway, ive never seen paper stick to cement render properly ever.

Not sure why.....I thought itd down to the surface...although it appears smooth its actully pitted and the paper just sits on the high points.

And the moisture from the paste mat reactivatethe salts in the plaster causing effloresence to form and push the paper off.

Zampa said:
Its a big NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.....from me anyway, ive never seen paper stick to cement render properly ever.

Not sure why.....I thought itd down to the surface...although it appears smooth its actully pitted and the paper just sits on the high points.

And the moisture from the paste mat reactivatethe salts in the plaster causing effloresence to form and push the paper off.

ive done this once before and mixed pva 5-1 and this worked a treat,

only joking :LOL: i cant see it working for the reasons zampa gave. ;)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back