Wallpaper peeling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had peeling wallpaper on a chimney breast due to dampness ,this dampness has now been resolved wall completely dry
Ive pasted the wall paper seems to stick but then it comes away hours later . I don't have spare wallpaper so can't strip the wall to redo it , any tips to stick it back ,would school glue be advisable . I'm not in a position to decorate the whole room and move huge wardrobes etc ,any advice would be appreciated, thanks

Sponsored Links
Did you use a tub of paste or the powder paste that you add water to?

Was the breast re-plastered and if yes, did you apply a size coat first?

My initial guess is that you didn't size it first. If you didn't, the moisture in the glue was sucked in to the plaster, resulting in the glue failing.

You may be able to use a thin brush to tuck paste under the edges.

Hopefully the existing paste on the rear of the paper means that the moisture from the second layer of paste will only travel in to the wall rather than both the paper and wall.

Ensure that you have a bucket of clean water and a sponge to remove the excess glue, and replace the water frequently (assuming that it is a paper that will not be damaged if glue touches the surface).

Did you use a tub of paste or the powder paste that you add water to?

Was the breast re-plastered and if yes, did you apply a size coat first?

My initial guess is that you didn't size it first. If you didn't, the moisture in the glue was sucked in to the plaster, resulting in the glue failing.
Thank for replying , I used solvite powder paste dissolved
No it's not new plaster very old 1930 house.
I.went into a decorators shop a few months back to buy size and he didht know what I was talking about sadly. So no size in shop here. I'm just trying to re-glue the original wallpaper in parts that came away

Sponsored Links
You may be able to use a thin brush to tuck paste under the edges.

Hopefully the existing paste on the rear of the paper means that the moisture from the second layer of paste will only travel in to the wall rather than both the paper and wall.

Ensure that you have a bucket of clean water and a sponge to remove the excess glue, and replace the water frequently (assuming that it is a paper that will not be damaged if glue touches the surface).
Thanks for replying It's a good vinyl vymura paper so i can possibly take the paste off with a sponge. I hadn't thought that the previous paste was a barrier. But guess it is ,if I had spare paper I would strip it off and refresh or even use a lining paper but I have no.spare .

Thank for replying , I used solvite powder paste dissolved
No it's not new plaster very old 1930 house.
I.went into a decorators shop a few months back to buy size and he didht know what I was talking about sadly. So no size in shop here. I'm just trying to re-glue the original wallpaper in parts that came away

I have been a decorator for longer than I care to admit...

Solvite used to give you the mixing ratio for size. They don't any more- I guess that that they would rather that you purchase dedicated size/sealer.

Years ago, I purchased "old school" size. You had to use very hot water to mix it- it stank. I guess that it was made of boiled bones...

If you gently peel the edges of the paper back, can you see the old emulsion stuck to the reverse of the paper?

If yes, then it is simply the paint delaminating. The new glue should suffice.

Yeah- ideally the whole lot should be stripped off but the new glue is worth a try.

Thanks for replying It's a good vinyl vymura paper so i can possibly take the paste off with a sponge. I hadn't thought that the previous paste was a barrier. But guess it is ,if I had spare paper I would strip it off and refresh or even use a lining paper but I have no.spare .

Not sure if we are at crossed wires here. I am only talking about removing excess glue from the face of the paper once you apply more glue.

I have been a decorator for longer than I care to admit...

Solvite used to give you the mixing ratio for size. They don't any more- I guess that that they would rather that you purchase dedicated size/sealer.

Years ago, I purchased "old school" size. You had to use very hot water to mix it- it stank. I guess that it was made of boiled bones...

If you gently peel the edges of the paper back, can you see the old emulsion stuck to the reverse of the paper?

If yes, then it is simply the paint delaminating. The new glue should suffice.

Yeah- ideally the whole lot should be stripped off but the new glue is worth a try.
I remember the old size and the smell a very strange smell, I couldn't believe that a decorators shop didht know what size was ,he had never heard of it .

Some of the back of the wallpaper is black like soot but not the part I had pasted and stuck down I've peeled a bit more back and see its black as is parts of the wall it is a chimney breast and fireplace still in situ but not used in maybe 60 years ,I'm assuming this happened before damp area outside was resolved, the chimney is also capped but with air vents around it ,I think with careful handling I'll get the paper off hopefully be able to use again once wall is treated.

Would a wallsealer suffice then size it if I can find size ( I've been told ebay has it at times) then use lining paper before I attempt to replace the used wallpaper? Many thanks

You can buy small tubes of adhesvie to stick down errant corners of wallpaper. Wilko used to do 'em but since they've gone to the Great Retailer in the Sky i suppose you'd have to shop around for an alternative. Better than messing about with buckets of the stuff.

I'll try the one and only DIY shop to see if they have this type of product.
The edges are hard and dried up so possibly adhesive would be better and hold more securely than paste.which if it doesn't adhere after drying makes the paper even harder
Many.thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back