Wallpaper removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a spare bedroom that we are going to decorate. Basically, the room is papered 3/4 up then there is a border running round the room. We would like to remove all of it and start again, however, the problem is the paper has been stuck directly to the plaster board. The room was never plastered.

I could paper over the existing paper as its been done well however I dont want to just paper over the border and if I remove the border I then have the top of the paper which doesnt go to the ceiling.

Is there any way of removing the paper without damaging the plasterboard or any other method which would get the paper off??

Any help is appreciated.
Cheers.

Sponsored Links
If the paper has been stuck direct to bare plaster board then you have problems as this will damage the surface badly.

Papering over it........no......although you have stated that the paper is well stuck you should take the view that whoever didnt it obviously didnt know what they were doing of in the first place by papering over bare boards.........therefore....have they really made such a good of the paper as it may seem???

One ray of hope.......not best practice, but it may pull you out of the s...sh.....shi......mire......

If you can get the surface off the paper...hopefully its a vinyl then you can leave the backing on...but make sure you give the wall a coat of primer sealer....thinned out....then re paper

Better still seal it then line it first with 800 grade lining paper...

Dont forget to rub down the sealed wall to remove the roughness first.

This possibly will stop the backing paper from bubbling, I have dont it in th past. to get out of a tight spot.

Papering straight over paper is he biggest 'no no' in the industry..dont chance it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back