wallpapering over a settling crack but paper has rippled

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have papered a feature wall which had a settling crack from being replastered from bare brick. The crack is at the corner of an archway, going diagonally upwards. I let the crack settle for a year, have filled it and kept an eye on it to notice when it's settled as much as I think it's going to. I filled one more time before papering and 3 days after, the paper has rippled along the crack line. I know the crack couldn't have opened up as I said, I'd noticed it getting to a minimal width then filled anyway. If anything, being that it's rippled, I presume the crack's compacted? Will this always be an issue or is there a way around this? It's a Victorian home so I know lime mortar moves/flexes more than sand and cement, but the wall's scratch coat and base coat is sand and cement.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back