Wallpapering revals

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whats the best method, cut top and bottom nr window, fold the leftover around, and do a peice to fit in

I seem to get a slight gap

cheers

Weres the best place to do a top cut, could do to see a video, make it easy to understand

Sponsored Links
Easy to do...but soooooooooooooooooooooo hard to explain on here..

Ill have a go..if I remember rightly, someone made a far better job of explaining this than me last time the question was asked..

Ok...

How you do this depends on the paper your hanging...some people cut along the head of the wall above the window..along the external edge...tuck the paper into the reveal, then find a peice of paper to match and stick it on the underside of the head wall above the window...bringing it round by about 20mm and tucking it under the paper on the face of the wall.

This has its problems...you cant do it with a thick textured paper, if you use a vinyl youll have to use overlap adhesive, the paper that you tuck into the reveal may be slightly short at the top if the underside of the head wall runs out.

If you can do it this way though you should put the next piece of paper in first, tuck it under the head wall and trim it into the window BEFORE you attempt to fit the small piece...because if you fit it first and is crooked you will struggle hanging the next piece.

Right...hope your still with me..

Theres another way...

First lets imagine you are working on the right hand side of the window...

Put your length in from ceiling to floor...

Cut the top

Cut the bottom...

Cut along the front of the cill to the corner of the vertical exterior angle..

Now put a trimming knife on the corner where the exterior horizontal and vertical angles of the head of the wind and reveal meet and pull it to the left..but not tight to the exterior edge..about 5-10mm up..i.e. cutting along the face of the wall itself...this will compensate for any unevenness on the underside of the head of the window wall...

Fold you paper into the reveal and make the neccessary cuts

Now...(phew!!) ...come over from the 90 degree exterior top corner about 30mm and cut a straight line up to the ceilingremove the waste piece on the left hand side of the paper...

Find another piece of paper that matches the piece you have taken off...allowing for it to be taken under the head wall into the window..and allow 40 oddmm at the top...

This piece should overlap onto the piece thats left by about 30mm (right of the 90 degree exterior corner) so you an cut any remaining waste to the right of that and bin it.

now..line up any patterns you may have and put a plumb line / spirit level on the smaller piece to make sure its straight..then trim it into the underside the the head of the window and into the reveal

Now..

Smooth the paper out and make sure there no air bubbles/paste build up

Put something flat and straight from the 90 degree external corner vertically to the ceiling, (ie over the overlap of the two papers) ...then using a sharp trimming knife, cut downwards through both papers to the 90 degree exterior angle...

Remove the strip on the right...lift the paper up and carefully pull out the second strip (from the main peice of paper) smooth the paper back out..give it a sponge over and you should have the perfect joint

Failing that.....paint the wall!!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back