Wallpapering round corners

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of doing the hall stairs and landing in our house which is an old Victorian jobby. Hence the walls are appalling, however will be lined before papering.

I'm putting up a heavily embossed paper with a geometric sort of pattern. The external corners are all rounded, having the old wooden beads rather than the modern metal ones which give a 90 degree square edge.

My first question is when lining the walls should I run it horisontally or vertically. The lining paper is wider than the wall paper and should I run a full length around the corner or finish it on or before the corner.

The second question is this. When I start to hang the paper, should I try to run a full width around the corner and match the pattern by butt jointing or should I run the width a couple of centimtres around the corner, cut to size and then slightly overlap this piece with my next full piece. My only concern with overlapping it is that because it is heavily embossed, it might stand out like sore thumb!

I've done plenty of papering before on a diy basis and have gradually improved but would appreciate the help of some of the professionals who read this forum

Sponsored Links
Run the lining paper horizontally.
If you finish the join on the external rounded corner you'll not be able to get the edges to sit flat. Try and get the join away from the corner and butt join it - about 6" should be fine.
If you ever need to overlap edges, use a straight edge and a new blade in a stanley knife and slice through both pieces that are overlapped. Then remove the two end pieces from each piece of paper and then brush the edges back to the wall - that should give you a nice flat join. If you can overlap the papers so that the pattern matches up perfectly then that's so much the better.
Gcol
p.s. I hate wallpapering with a passion.

Run the lining paper around the corner, but dont try to continue down the wall..go round about 6 inches stop...then cut and hang new piece, overlaping the old piece with the new piece about two inches, then splice through the two removing the two pieces of waste paper.

Hanging the paper horizontally is fine and often easier, but deepending on how much access you have on your stairs could be tricky.

If it is awkward, you can line the traditional vertical way...just start at the opposite end to where you will start the papering..that way the joints shouldnt overlap.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice guys. I can't wait to start. No honest I can't!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back