Warm Conservatory Roof - Ultraframe Utopia or Alternative

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We are getting a rather large conservatory built, that we would like to use all year.

With a bit of googling I've discovered this "ultraframe utopia" roof
http://trade.ultraframe.co.uk/latest-news/250/utopia-can-replace-solid-roofs

(although the only installer website I've seen is in scotland).

This seems to be like a double decker Polycarbonate roof that gets a u-value of 0.6 so is better than glass and getting closer to solid (0.2).

Does anyone have any experience of this type of roof, or any alternatives ?

best other one's I've seen are "tenwall" panels boasting just under 1.0 u-value, but this is quite a bit better.

Sponsored Links
If it's less than a grand it's worth a try. Does it keep the heat out?

It claims to keep out heat , something like 75% , so it's not letting a huge amount of light through to be honest.

May as well board it out with insulated PB - cost just a few hundred quid.

Sponsored Links
This is a new build. If we decide on no light, we'll just fit a solid roof.

This is a new build. If we decide on no light, we'll just fit a solid roof.
Depends on how much you want to spend. When I did mine I used Planitherm 4S with a U-value of 1.0 and solar control. On cold mornings there can be frost on the outside of the glazing for hours after the heating comes on, which shows you how well it works. We can use it all year, although have also got blinds for the really sunny days.

Triple glazing would give you even better U-values, but would be very costly.

I wouldn't go for polycarb as you will lose too much light and it is very noisy when it rains.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back