Warm roof construction

Yes, that's right. As the OP didn't specify a flat or pitch roof, I did assume the latter hence talking insulation at rafter and not flat roof level. But as you say, as the OP mentions 6mm ply, so they have to be talking about a flat roof situation (with access for maintenance over).

Sponsored Links
Typically for a warm off, the insulation goes above the structure, but it can also go between...

"Lay insulation between the rafters, leaving a minimum gap of 50mm above the insulation and below the roof underlay. This then allows a ventilation path between the eaves and the ridge. This detail is sometimes also referred to as a "warm roof".

I have also had Building Control check it as I raised it a hell of a long time ago and on 99% of my jobs, that is where it goes, which... gets approved, built and signed off.
I don't know which book you got this from but I would chuck it in the bin if I were you because it is incorrect. A warm roof is not vented and cannot have insulation between rafters. That's the point of it. The insulation sits above the joists or rafters and therefore the roof structure remains warm at all times and therefore is not at risk of condensation and does not need ventilation. The OPs question was about whether the insulation can sit on the joists or if it needs a ply base. The Op obviously understands how a warm roof works and his question had nothing to do with insulating between or under joists.

The OPs question was about whether the insulation can sit on the joists or if it needs a ply base.

What the OP actually asked was:

Does the insulation need to be 'sandwiched' between 2 sheets of ply or does just 1 sheet directly on top of the joists suffice

I think he meant "just 1 sheet of ply". That is, can you put the insulation on top of one sheet of ply directly on top of the joists, or does another sheet of ply have to go on top to form a sandwich?

Despite the intersting discussion nobody has answered this yet.

Cheer
Richard

Sponsored Links
Despite the intersting discussion nobody has answered this yet.

Cheer
Richard
It's a fair comment. noseall more or less answered it in the third post and then posted a link. The broader answer is that it depends on the insulation. The Kingspan noseall linked to sits on the joists and has a bonded ply upper layer to take the waterproofing layers. In other words, no sandwich necessary. Others have different requirements.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back