Warped shed door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is my own fault. Too lazy to clear up the shed and leaving stuff close to the door meant that there was pressure on the lower part of the shed door. Now I’ve cleared the shed up a little, the bottom corner of the door (opening side not hinged side) protrudes about an inch or so. If I apply gentle pressure it will close properly.

What can I do to remedy the situation?
Can I screw a batten or ledge to the inside of the door? Is there a better solution?

Sponsored Links
fix a bolt to the door near the bottom.

A photo of the door would help, some types of door can be racked back easily.

a picture of your own door, on your own shed, inside and out, closed and open, please.

Sponsored Links
a picture of your own door
Hopefully added correctly:

ACB3A35A-609D-439F-B75B-2F35D30CE6BB.jpeg 46FCFAC6-03AE-4039-A18E-031FCB109A87.jpeg 43CD9D83-F6BC-4B3A-83E8-9E932CADA777.jpeg 5EF76B65-3130-41F8-B2C8-9A5A785D6507.jpeg 3298406B-5E15-46C8-B52F-4EE668EF16A8.jpeg

OK.

that's not a bad door for a shed, but it is very lightly built. The way it is made it will not be as easy as I'd hoped.

Putting a bolt at the bottom will, eventually, bend it back to shape, because it will be held flat all the time it is shut (most of the time, I expect), in dry weather and wet, which will help it settle into shape. You could buy a foot-operated kickover bolt, as used in stables, but I don't think it's worth the expense. Get a galvanised padbolt like this:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/oval-pad-bolt-zinc-plated-100mm/51227
and screw it into the Z-shape, the horizontal ledge for strength. If you get two, you can have one at the top as well, which will hold the door quite firmly, and you can add padlocks to them if you need to keep out nosey people. The door itself, and the factory-fitted lock, are fundamentally weak and insecure so will not keep out anyone determined.

but if you have a drill, and can lay your hands on some timber as long as the door is high, you could screw one on the inside and one on the outside of the edge, while bending it flat, and preferably a little bit more, beyond the bend, and that will hold it flat, and strengthen it.

Thanks. Originally I was thinking of a turn button latch - there’s one already at the top, so it would be easy to attach one at the bottom.

A bolt like the one you’ve linked to will be easy to install.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back