washbasin noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi.. my bathroom washbasin has started making a gurgeling noise even when there is no water draining away. i have stipped the washbasin trap and that is clear, i have checked the waste pipe for blockages and that is clear. the water drain away from the washbasin and bath ok.
an ideas ?
cheers
mickcoulson

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Gurgling noise is classic for air/venting difficulties. FWIW, a 1.5" AAV from screwfix, cut into the trap arm (ie. between the u-bend and the wall) will often "solve" such difficulties.
The root "cause" might be the layout of the waste and soil pipes esp if the waste runs back on itself in the wall or in the floor.

Gurgling noise is classic for air/venting difficulties. FWIW, a 1.5" AAV from screwfix, cut into the trap arm (ie. between the u-bend and the wall) will often "solve" such difficulties.
The root "cause" might be the layout of the waste and soil pipes esp if the waste runs back on itself in the wall or in the floor.
the trap is a bottle trap will that make any difference ?

No. But you can buy bottle traps with built-in anti-vac features - easy way to go.

No. But you can buy bottle traps with built-in anti-vac features - easy way to go.
if i fill the washbasin up and pull th plug the water drains away and no gurgling, but if i just run a tap thats when i get the gurgling noise.

I dont understand why running the taps would drain differently from pulling the plug? Does your basin have an overflow, and is it clear? I'd still think it would be the layout of the waste pipes. Perhaps get someone to flush the WC while you run the taps and then drain the bowl - listen for results.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back