Washing machine - Carbon brushes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my Electra washing machine, drum doesn't want to go round.

I can hear and feel motor trying to work. Got the back off and if I keep nudging the wheel at the back of drum pushing the drive belt (on spin) with a bit of coaxing it will work properly.

There are no nasty noises, all else seems well. Pump working ok, no bad smells. The belt is not off or broken.

This leaves me thinking it may be brushes.
Trouble is if I am able to find any to buy I don't know what to do with them.
Can anyone give me an idea on where to put them, politely please gents.

I was not able to tempt it to turn on the actual wash cycle, and this limited success was with an empty drum. However, with my help the spin cycle looked up to speed so I cannot believe it is a hopeless case.

Thanks, Vanessa
ps I am in France in remote area so no help available.

Sponsored Links
Go to you tube and put in washing mc brushes it's on a video .then try eBay for a set ,but remove old ones first to make sure they are worn.

Thank you so much Rocks 1, I studied the video and decided that I could probably do that, so searched and emailed lots of suppliers for brushes and have now been told by a couple that the Electra AWM900A does not have brushes, is an induction motor.
I was very disappointed to hear that as I thought there would be a simple cure. The drum stopped rotating but after helping the belt around quite a few times it was then able to spin happily, but not rotate on wash cycle.
I did spray a little WD on motor and drum spindles just in case of dirt build up and again helped drum around. It did then make a feeble attempt to go around on the wash cycle with no load inside.

I can detect no bad signs,belt is tight enough. Any ideas please?
Anyone?

Thanks,
VW

If it has an induction motor it could be that the capacitor that kick starts it into life has failed.
Often if you spin a motor that has a capacitor to start it it will carry on running even if the start capacitor has failed.

http://www.espares.co.uk/part/washi.../397367/662471/electra-c00657315-capacit.html

looks something like this although it may be aluminium instead of plastic

https://www.homespare.com/powersearch.php?searchterm=capacitor&refinesearch=yes&newsearch=yes

I dont know on this machine but on Zanussi's it is fitted under a bar underneath the top.

Sponsored Links
If it has an induction motor it could be that the capacitor that kick starts it into life has failed.
Often if you spin a motor that has a capacitor to start it it will carry on running even if the start capacitor has failed.
http://www.espares.co.uk/part/washi.../397367/662471/electra-c00657315-capacit.html
looks something like this although it may be aluminium instead of plastic
https://www.homespare.com/powersearch.php?searchterm=capacitor&refinesearch=yes&newsearch=yes
I dont know on this machine but on Zanussi's it is fitted under a bar underneath the top.
=========================================
I am very grateful toyou Leccy758, I will now try and find one.
The homespare site wouldn't let me in unless I applied for an accountif I were a tradesperson, but you have given me enough to go on, so that is great news as I was now considering having to scrap a machine that has never let me down and is excellent in all respects.
Vanessa

The homespares one is a trade site but you can log in as a guest account (its just under the member login). Useful to get a pic of a capacitor (you cant get any other info or prices but you get a pic.

Lovely Leccy, I didnt see that you could get in that way.
Got the picture so can look for it in the machine tomorrow and get one. I have seen them at prices ranging from £5 or £6 to £28 each. Wonder what the difference is.
Let's hope I can do this myself and save the machine,
All the best, Vanessa.

Generally 5 to 10 pounds, if the company I work for is cheaper than espares but it did provide the info that your machine has a 20 micro farad capacitor on it and this is very likely a motor start one due to the size.

It would be £34.44 from espares which sounds a lot even though the man sounds very helpful and friendly. I will probably have to look at the cheaper varieties being on a tight budget.
If I get it and install it, let's hope it does the job. If not, I will come back and ask for a bit more advice,and if that fails I would have to ditch the machine.
The help I have been getting from you on this website has made a lot of difference to me, I don't know what I would have done without it, so big thank you.
VW

:D Thans a lot Rocks1, had a look.
I have also found another thing at the top of the rear inside machine,
its about the same size as capacitor 16uF but maybe aluminium and on it, it says 0,47 uF. Had to take the lid off to ID it, but don't think it can be the one since the other says 16uF which sounds more like it.
(Are you really in St Lucia?)
All the best
Vanessa

nope thats a mains surpresser in the corner . the other cap should be near the motor

Thanks Rocks, just wanted confirmation, as it's all new to me.
If this doesn't cure it, I will be back.
Vanessa

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back