washing machine causes RCD to trip

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We have a Hotpoint Ultima WT 761 washing machine that causes the RCD to trip within seconds of being switched on. No fuses blow and I haven’t seen any fault codes. It’s about 4 years old

I have done some googling and believe this may be cased by the heating element on its way out.

Is this s a likely cause? How difficult is it to change (and how do you access it…. from the back??)

Or should I just call out a Service engineer!!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Keep the door open turn the machine on then close the door if it trips immediately when the door is close i would say its the door interlock.
Interlocks are cheap to buy.
Do you have a muitimeter?

It will be the heater or motor or mains surpressor, closing the door just completes the circuit. If you don't have a meter just disconnect the heater then mains input see if it trips process of elimination.

Thanks for the replies.

For speed I decided to call out the local repairer. He checked the element and declared it OK… and diagnosed a main control board fault, but advised he couldn’t fix it as it would require some sort of reset that only Hotpoint engineers have…… so now I have ended up with having to call out a Hotpoint engineer at a fixed £117!!

Does this sound right?

Sponsored Links
Yes that right parts and labour included

sorry.... I meant a non factory engineer not being able to reset the machine... is that right? Seems as a consumer i'm over a barrell!!

If you got some one out from local paper / yellow pages they should know that they cannot fix hotpoint / indesit mcs because they are configured by a laptop / smart card. Pcb/ motors etc have to be programmed to that appliance thats why manufactures have to attend even with other makes as well

On a lot of these machines i have come acroos a short on the interlock between live and neuaral on the door interlock

Hotpoint guy came today, first thing he did was check the socket with a "socket and see" device and pronounced a neutral fault in the socket and promptly went on his way!!

I changed the socket ... restarted the machine that caused the whole ring main to drop out, but the RCCD and MCB didnt trip. swapped the MCB... all seemes ok now!!

oh well..... live and learn...thansk for the replies though!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back