Washing machine drainage hose good practice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any plumbers that can foresee issues with the below set up?

I have installed my washing machine and needed to extend the drainage hose. Only options I found was 2.5m. This is leaving a lot of excessive hose that I’ve had to arrange as in the picture. My concern is stagnant water building up and smelling between washes.
IMG_7613.jpeg

Sponsored Links
A jubilee clip will reduce the risk of the pipe popping off the spigot.

There is no need to elevate the left hand side of the pipe.

Cut off the excess, the hose will still fit the spigot.

If you cut off the excess, what will stop the water dripping out of the threaded part of the hose? And why cut away the excess in the first place?

Sponsored Links
If you cut off the excess, what will stop the water dripping out of the threaded part of the hose?
Why would it? Just push it on to the spigot and use a jubilee clip if concerned.
And why cut away the excess in the first place?
It's far too long and not required. It'll just sit full of water, no need for it.

Is that a hose extension? Personally I would rotate the spigot part of the trap to enable the hose to enter from the left looking at it, and get rid of the extension (if it is one). The problem you have currently is there will be a smell because the u shaped loop will retain water, which could stagnate. The same will apply if you lower the left hand side as advised.

Thanks all for the advice.

In the end I decided to just drill a hole between the cupboard sections where the hose exits the machine and feed the original hose through (previously I was using an existing hole at the bottom with the extension hose). The advice to turn the sprigot really helped as well!

Much neater!
IMG_7624.jpeg
IMG_7625.jpeg

Why would it? Just push it on to the spigot and use a jubilee clip if concerned.

But the jubilee clip might not sufficiently clamp the cut back threaded section. It would require a lot of clamping pressure to squish the ribbed section.

I get what you are saying about the excessive length, but I do not agree with the potential solution. Sorry.

But the jubilee clip might not sufficiently clamp the cut back threaded section. It would require a lot of clamping pressure to squish the ribbed section.
I've done hundreds, with no jubilee clip. They don't leak, unless there is another issue.

I've done hundreds, with no jubilee clip. They don't leak, unless there is another issue.
I did try cutting the extension pipe and forcing the ribbed hose onto the sprigot. However, on this occasion, the tube was struggling to fit onto the sprigot very far, so it would have leaked and I had to abandon this approach. Thanks for the suggestion though! I gave it a good shot.

You have cut the excess off and had no leaks?

If so, fair enough, I can't see how that works though. In my, possibly addled head, there is scope for a tiny amount of water to run through the ribbed part.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back