Washing machine gunk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a Hotpoint WMA-10 that has an awful lot of black gunk built up in the rubber seal. It is slimy and looks as though it may be difficult to remove. Is there any easy way to get this clean? It has already ruined some clothes. Alternatively are there any instructions on how to replace the seal?

Many thanks,

Neil.

Sponsored Links
Hi - what you've got is black mould and once it's taken hold it's virtually impossible to get rid of. Bleach will keep it at bay, but won't eliminate it completely (or remove staining on the rubber). A new door seal would be the best solution. All the ones I've replaced can be done through the door-hole without dismantling anything complicated. The seal to the outer casing may just stretch over a flange or may have a spring-cord or other means to keep the rubber tight on the casing. The inner seal on to the tub will be similar, though on a couple of occasions I've had to call on an extra pair of hands to stretch the rubber over the lip (Bosch machines). Have a prod around on yours and you'll probably get an idea of how the seal is fitted.
Do you keep the door of your machine shut when not in use? This is the most likely reason for mould forming

Hi cmother1,

Thanks for that - I've tried several maintenance washes including one with 1/2 kilo soda crystals, with no effect. I'm going to have a go at getting the seal changed.

Sponsored Links
Mold is very simple to get rid off, mold cleaner and then leave the door open to prevent further occurrence.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back